Connect with us

Autonomous APRN Application and Registration Update and Resources

Posted 28 days ago by Jean Aertker

What are the requirements to become registered for Autonomous Practice?

Eligibility for registration as an autonomous APRN includes the following:

  • at least 3,000 clinical practice hours under the supervision of an allopathic or osteopathic physician within the past 5 years. These hours may include clinical instructional hours.
  • three graduate-level semester hours or 45 practitioner level hours in differential diagnosis and 3 graduate-level semester hours or 45 practitioner level hours in pharmacology completed within the past 5 years (documentation required); and
  • not been subject to disciplinary action as specified in Section 456.072 F.S. or Section 464.018 F.S., or any similar disciplinary action in any state or jurisdiction within the past 5 years.

Do the 45 hours in each subject area have to be approved by the Florida Board of Nursing?

No, these courses must be offered by an educational provider approved by one of the following national organizations:

  • Council on Certification of Nurse Anesthetists, or Council on Recertification of Nurse Anesthetists, or their predecessors
  • American College of Nurse Midwives
  • American Nurses Association (American Nurses Credentialing Center) Nurse Practitioner level examinations only
  • National Certification Corporation for OB/GYN, Neonatal Nursing Specialties (nurse practitioner level examination only)
  • National Board of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners and Associates (Pediatric Nurse Associate/Practitioner level examinations only)
  • National Board for Certification of Hospice and Palliative Nurses
  • American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (nurse practitioner level examination only)
  • Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation
  • American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN Certification Corporation)
  • Adult Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Certification (ACNPC)

Where can I find the courses to fulfill the initial requirements?

There is a list of approved courses in CE Broker's course search:

How do I provide proof of graduate level courses or CE completed for the autonomous registration

You may upload a transcript or certificates of completed graduate level courses or CE in your online MQA account while applying for the registration or under “Application Status” once you have submitted your registration application.
Documents may also be emailed to or mailed to Florida Board of Nursing, 4052 Bald Cypress Way, Bin C-02, Tallahassee, FL 32399.

Please note that a course description may be requested if the title does not state “Pharmacology” or “Differential Diagnosis.”

Will the information that I am registered be displayed on my license and within CE Broker?

Yes, there will be a notation on your license on the MQA license verification site as well as within your CE Broker account.

Do I need any additional CE hours in order to maintain my autonomous practice registration?

Yes, you will need to complete 10 additional practitioner/graduate level hours each license cycle. These hours are in addition to the standard CE requirements.

Can the initial certification courses also count towards the 10 extra CE hours if completed within the license cycle in which I am registered?

Yes, those hours will fulfill the 10 autonomous practice CE hours. Excess hours in the autonomous practice subject area will roll over to the general subject area.

For the latest information on the autonomous practice registration application, please visit the Florida Board of Nursing's website 


Andrea Walter about 6 hours ago   Remove

Question- if the current supervising provider is billing incident to-how does the APRN autonomy license affect the ability of the MD to bill incident to

Jeanne Hopple about 5 hours ago   Remove

The MD billing for incident to would not be able to do this any longer for the APRN who now has an autonomy license who would be billing his or her own autonomous practice patients and most likely would be opening their own independent practice.

Dr Jeanne Hopple, PhD, APRN, ANP-BC, FNP-C
Crockett, Texas

Linda Marchionna about 3 hours ago   Remove

My Pharmacology class was Summer 2014. Advanced Diagnostic Spring 2015 at USF. I believe these are not within the timeline for Independent Practice set by the Florida Board. Where can I take classes outside of the University setting for the Differential Diagnosis & Pharmacology?

Vicky Stone-Gale about 2 hours ago   Remove

Correct. It has ot be within 5 years. You can take 45 CEs each in Differential Diagnosis and Advanced Pharmacology and can get these through AANP or Net CE. Make sure they have the wording of differential diagnosis, diagnosis, treatment, management or such in the DD course.

Linda Marchionna 28 minutes ago   Remove

Thanks, So they can't just be courses that include Pharmacology CEs. Differential Diagnosis is more specific but many articles with CEs contain the diagnostics required to determine a diagnosis.

Jean Aertker less than a minute ago   Remove

Agree to above response by Dr. Hopple re: Incident to billing question which impies an Autonomous APRN is not under "general supervision" and thus bills separately for care delivered. The interesting point here is the FL BON commented that the Autonomous NP may still sign a "practice protocol" if required by the employer/physician for oversight, while still holding an Autonomous APRN license. The NP would not need to revert to the APRN under general supervision licensure. Most clinics and practices have now moved away from "Incident to" billling as it can incur fines and penalites if billing done incorrectly. As always, check with the BON to be sure on this detail. This is a new law for Florida and still being explored.

Only active members can comment on this announcement.

Learn more about membership